Tuesday, May 14, 2013


You know those unexpected moments of clarity, the ones that frequently occur when you're trying to do something else? I had one today. While trying to grade/plan, I wondered how I became a teacher. What got me into this whirlwind of a profession? If you're a teacher, you know what I'm talking about, and I KNOW this sentiment is not a new one, especially in the teacher-blogger world. On a typical day, I will make hundreds of copies (I did not want to be an office assistant.), email parents about how frequently their child gets up and wanders around a room like a cow roaming for food (I did not wish to be a micromanaging control freak.), run papers back and forth, all over the school (I do not get a cool bicycle like a professional messenger), and attend at least two meetings that determine whether or not there is a policy issue with a particular disciplinary action (...and I gave up my dream of becoming a Supreme Court Justice a long time ago.).

So... what is it? What is the draw? My mother has asked me many times. Well, in the last couple of days, I have received messages from two former students, both of whom were less-than-enthusiastic about reading, or exhibiting any academic effort, to be frank.

Message 1: "So, I am beyond late on the whole Teacher Appreciation Day... I just had to let you know, though, you were one of the absolute best teachers I've ever had. I hated English with a passion, but you changed me. In more ways than one. You gave me a wake up call. I love reading now! You really pushed me, and I owe you a huge thanks. So thank you, very much."

Message 2: "I got a 100 on my senior presentation!!!! I'm the only one to get a 100 (not tryin' to toot my own horn)..."

For now, that'll be enough. Hopefully some of the precious lambs who are currently causing me to beat my head against a figurative wall ('cause, hey, that junk'll kill some brain cells--no bueno--teachers need 'em all!) will send me similar messages.

Until then, I'm living on coffee and prayers.

FYI: There are nine days of instruction left!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment